Posted on August 27, 2008 by Charley West
(Just for the record, this also goes for CBS, SI, Rivals, Scout, and every other news media outlet in existence, past, present, or future.)
This has to stop. Seriously, it has to. It’s the most annoying thing that I, as a Mountaineer fan, have to endure on a daily basis. What is it that I am talking about? This:
you see college football live? herbstreit hates us. fuck him.
Or some variation. It happens once a day, whether on the message board or by the water cooler. Sometimes, people will even call me to tell me about such a display on ESPN, etc. They’ll e-mail me. They’ll send smoke signals, carrier pigeons, morse code, telegraphs, or telepathy. But somehow, someway, they manage to let me know that ESPN “totally hated on us” today.
Here’s my response: “Yeah, I saw it.” Then I try to look busy. But do you know what I’m really thinking?
I DON’T CARE. SHUT THE FUCK UP.
About 95% of me wants to yell that in their face and kick their ass, too. But the other 5% thinks that the resulting felony conviction just isn’t worth it.
Filed under: espn, life sucks then you die | 26 Comments »
Posted on March 26, 2008 by Charley West
If you caught last night’s SportsCenter, you would have noticed a story about WVU. The story, reported by George Smith, focused on the basketball team as a distraction from the Rich Rodriguez fiasco.
Most WVU fans would tell you that both downplays the basketball team’s accomplishments and overplays the impact of Rodriguez on day-to-day Mountaineer culture. Right now, one of the last things on our mind is Rodriguez. Sure, we took a little pleasure on the Terrelle Pryor circus, but the world would not have ended had he picked Michigan. Still, we’re focused on basketball, Xavier, and 2008 football.
So, when we’re featured on SportsCenter for a story with Rodriguez in the background, the natural inclination is to become angry. I say nay! Embrace it. Everytime we are on SportsCenter, the profile of WVU is raised. While it wasn’t the perfect story, it certainly wasn’t the worst. The interviews with the players, boosters, and coaches all made WVU look good, if not great.
As these stories continue to run, there will be more and more WVU and less and less Rodriguez. Until then, just know that we’re a big enough story to send George Smith to campus in the middle of March. It’s all happening for WVU, but it’s not like all the kinks will be worked out immediately. Just be patient, drink a lot, and watch us on ESPN.
Because remember, we’re on our way to becoming a fixture.
Filed under: espn | 12 Comments »